Michigan Science Center named #2 science museum in America
You don’t have to travel far to find one of America’s best museums, the Michigan Science Center was just voted the county’s No. 2 science museum by the editors of USA Today.
If you haven’t been to the Michigan Science Center in Midtown Detroit, plan a play date or family day out to experience more than 220 interactive exhibits, live demonstrations, and special themed activities. Some popular exhibits include:
- fun factory – Explore the world of automation and learn how steel is made.
- STEM playground – Stop at STEM Playground to learn about the forces acting on an airplane, how to position a sail so it can travel in the wind, how engineers design everything around us, and the importance of planning and foundations when construction.
- Nano-Gallery – Interactive exhibitions present the basics of nanoscience and engineering, present some real-world applications and explore the societal and ethical implications of this new technology.
- Mathalive! – Living Math! presents math at work in six different areas, including extreme sports, fashion and design, video games, and robotics to connect math concepts to real-world applications.
- Gallery space – Marvel at the wonders of the universe as you explore the history of human space travel, learn about rocket technology, visit the galaxy, travel to the sun and more.
The Michigan Science Center is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is $14 for children 2-15 and $18 for guests 16 and older. The museum is a member of the Museums for All program and families can receive $3 admission for up to 4 people when you show your SNAP/EBT card.
Michigan Science Center // 5020 John R. Street, Detroit, MI 48202
DID YOU KNOW
The Michigan Science Center offers an in-person summer camp experience for learners in grades 1-8. Each week will feature different activities designed around a central theme, with interactive activities designed to connect campers’ discoveries with current research and scientific advancements. Learn more about the camp and other Metro Detroit camps in the LG Magazine CAMP Edition.