Science Museum’s November STEM programs include bubbles, robots, conservation and live animals
The Las Cruces Museum of Nature and Science (MONAS) will offer free STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) related programs for children and families in November, the City of Las Cruces announced in a news release. hurry.
Admission to the museum and programs is free. No registration is required for any of the activities.
The programs are
- “Nature & Science Discovery PreK”: 10-11 a.m. Thursdays, November 3, 10, and 17. Explore space through hands-on explorations, stories, and crafts. Recommended for children 2-5 years old with an adult caregiver.
- “Saturday Family Science – Bubbles”: 10-11 a.m. Saturday, November 5. Learn about surface tension and elasticity while experimenting with bubbles. Recommended for ages 6 and up with an adult caregiver.
- “Teen Takeover: Robots”: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9. Play with exhibits, create and experience STEAM (STEM plus “A” for arts) activities, eat snacks, and play games during these extended teen-only hours. The program is aimed at 12-17 year olds.
- “STEAMpunk – Domingo Santo Liotta, surgeon”: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., Saturday November 19. Domingo Santo Liotta pioneered heart surgery and developed the first artificial heart for humans. Learn about the anatomy of the heart by dissecting a sheep’s heart. Recommended for ages 6 and up. No registration is required.
- “Live animal meals”: 11 a.m. on Saturdays November 5, 12 and 19. It’s brunch time! Observe and learn how different species of animals eat and what they eat. Animal feeding takes place in the MONAS gallery. For all ages.
Registration is now open for December’s “Conservation Pre-K,” which will be held from 10-11 a.m. on Wednesday, December 14 and 28 at MONAS. Participants will learn about endangered and threatened animals, their way of life and what can be done to protect them. Through open discussions, hands-on activities and stories, children ages 2-5 (accompanied by an adult educator) will learn about a new animal each time. In advance, in person at MONAS before Saturday, November 26.
MONAS, 411 N. Main St., can be accessed from RoadRUNNER Transit Route 1 Stop 1.
For more information, contact Stephanie Hawkins at 575-532-3372 and [email protected]
Visit www.las-cruces.org/museums and follow Las Cruces Museums on Facebook and Instagram @LCMuseums.